Monday, June 24, 2013

Have You Ever...

Have you ever been somewhere where you know the Lord has called you to be and there's just small little clues along the way that point to Him and his provision? Well that's where I am currently in this stage of life. The last two years has just been a whirlwind of transitioning into marriage, living in Kenya, moving back to the US, living away from O for awhile, and being here in Orlando at the DeVos Sport Business Management Program! Life definitely has a way of taking you on a ride and I definitely was/and am very much still on it.

The last 7 weeks I have been living in the hot and humid Orlando, Florida. The reason that I am here is because upon my acceptance into the DeVos Masters Program, I would have to re-take four business classes over the summer. At first, I was pretty upset that I had to do this because it would cost a lot of money that we didn't have and it would mean that I would have to leave Olivia in Denver for her to finish her masters program and then move all of our belongings to Florida.

Even though this wasn't part of the plan, it has been instrumental in terms of my future at the program and in the greater Orlando community! For example, last week I met the chair of the program, who happens to be one of the most influential people in sport, and found out that I will be working for him the next two years as his personal assistant! This is a huge honor and a position that most people in the program apply for! I later found out through the other assistants and administrators that the reason I was given the position was because of all the hurdles that I have had to overcome as well as being here in Orlando the last 7 weeks has allowed Dr. Lapchick the opportunity to get to know me and decide whether or not I was the right fit for the job. I cannot tell you how excited I am about this position because not only will it challenge me professionally, but this man has faced so many personal trials to have the impact in sport that it is an amazing testimony to be motivated, persevere, and work under his direction to help utilize the power that sport has to offer!

Besides that, I also have had the opportunity of getting to know the current students in the program. And this is and will be a huge asset for me as I have an advantage over the other students in my class. One of the ways that I have connected with them is I am on their indoor soccer team. I cannot tell you how much fun I am having playing with them! It has been a great study break and a way to build community. I have also gained a lot of their respect through playing with them and have even been asked to join them in a Tough Mudder later this year! If you don't know what a Tough Mudder is you should check out their website and see where the closest one is to you. It's an amazing race that makes men feel manly! Pretty cool!

So my community is growing, my confidence is high, and I could not ask to be in a better living situation. Right now I am living with the Goin family who has been a HUGE blessing in my life! They have continued to bless and love on me and Olivia in so many ways I cannot express my thankfulness to them and their sacrifice to help me and Olivia get on our feet.

Well, that's all I've got for now. Keep looking for other posts that tell of our hot and humid stories in Orlando!

No comments:

Post a Comment