Monday, April 15, 2013

We are loved, this is His City, and He's not done here yet.

So... Yesterday I had actually started writing my next post about mine and O's adventures through Crossfit's open workout competition that we were unofficially participating in, but due to today's occurrences at the Boston Marathon I changed my thought.

Now let's back up a few months. If you had followed our last blog in Kenya, O and I experienced a bomb blast in downtown Nairobi. To be clear, we did not feel the blast go off, but we were 6 miles away from the blast, as opposed to being a few thousand miles away to today's. But both have huge affects on one's mind and outlook on life.

So what I experienced today, hearing about a blast on twitter, via the Kenya Redcross, yes my friends across the pond care about us over here and were the first to come up on my feed with the latest news. Then I turned to the TV, saw the images and unlike Nairobi, our images from our phones are much better quality, hence our ability to see and view some pretty horrific sights that are just sad to be displayed throughout the world where some our mourning and others rejoicing (that's just the reality of such an event).

So what is the affect on me? Well seeing and even somewhat hearing the blasts from today send these shock waves and goose bumps through me. It is hard to see the video footages that are coming out every hour with blood all over the sidewalks, but encouraging to see the "good samiritans" who put their own lives at risk for others. Those are the images I have running through my mind, but what words I have running through my heart is "God is in this city." He knows what happened, he is hurting, and he has a plan. Now my working friends would say where's God's love in that situation and how can you have faith in such false statements. And the truth is I know and believe and will have any conversation about my God's love for me, you, and this world.

My hope is that this one event hasn't nor will it change God's master plan for his creation. It is ongoing and it has already won. We don't have to be afraid of the bombs that happened in Nairobi or Boston. We do have a responsibility to act, to help, to love, to inform, to care for, and many more things, but we also have decisions to make that as my pastor preached on yesterday "not only affect the here and now, but display who we are serving yesterday, today, and tomorrow."

So as we're sharing our stories of tramatic experiences (which is great and healing), posting our thoughts on social media, and praying, remember who we serve and His love that He endured on the cross, scourning its shame, and is now seated next to the Heavenly Father. We are loved, this is His City, and He's not done here yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment